Skip to main content

Tomsk on a map

 

and in photos

There are three things you can look at forever: fire, water and women’s parking. If you see me parking, you can even laugh, and I don’t mind. People say that laughter prolongs life.

Maps International designed by Lovell Johns Limited

However, I have something to add to this list – a map, and preferably a large map.



I’ve been honest with you, I’ve said a few times that I don’t know geography. I don’t know what it was: a way it was taught to us, or i didn’t see an opportunity to use the knowledge. I had a good grade, but didn’t know much.

Now the world has changed. I’ve met people from different countries. We are getting news from different places. I became curious about geography.

I mentioned to my husband a few times that I wanted to have a big, no, huge map and … Daniel bought it! I have to tell you, both my husband and the map are so cool!

But you have to be careful, well, I have to be careful – viewing the map can be time consuming. 

Another day I saw Tomsk on the map (when I was just passing by)), then my gaze shifted to Novosibirsk, and then… I ended up in the Aleutian Islands. 

Today I would like to write about Tomsk. I may repeat myself, but I am going to add some photos. My friend Marina sends me lots of them, and she lets me share them with you. 

Here we go,

Geographically Ural Mountains separate the European part of Russia from Asia, which includes Siberia and the Far East. 

My hometown Tomsk is located in the Southern part of Siberia (not far from the Trans-Siberian railway).  My husband likes to say that his wife lived just above Сhina and calls me Asian woman.  

You may be surprised but Russians were not always the originals of Siberia. 

Siberian Tatar were the indigenous Tatar population of the forests and steppes of South Siberia. They lived in areas stretching from somewhat east of the Ural Mountains to the Yenisei River in Russia. The Siberian Tatar call themselves Yerle Qalyq (“older inhabitants”), to distinguish themselves from more recent Volga Tatar immigrants to the region. 

Tomsk (fortress city) was built at the request of local Tatar-Eushtins led by Prince Toyan, who sent an embassy to Moscow with an appeal to take them “under the arm” of the Russian tsar (Boris Godunov).

Tomsk was established in 1604. It just celebrated its 418 birthday. Tomsk got his name from the name of the river on which it is located. 

Since that time Tomsk went through a lot: developing, decline and reinvention. 

Tomsk is famous for its architecture and universities. Wooden architecture is the hallmark and highlight of the city.

Some wooden buildings are declared architectural monuments. The fate of others can be seen in the photos.

Tomsk is also famous for its universities and is often called Siberian Athens.

This weekend*, a festival of folk crafts is being held in a park near Tomsk, called the Axe Festival. Its traditional program includes a competition of carpenters and wood carvers, ceramicists and blacksmiths.

I’ve never been there, I don’t even know why. A friend Marina sent pictures.

To be continued…

*By the time I am writing, the weekend is over in Tomsk. 


 














Sources were used:

https://www.orimi.com/en/news/axe-festival-in-tomsk/

https://www.riatomsk.ru/article/20220820/tomskij-festivalj-prazdnik-topora-oficialjno-otkrilsya-v-subbotu/




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four days and Three nights of Vacation in Vermont

  I love going on vacation, but I love coming back even more. I'll tell you about the most remarkable activities for me. I will try briefly… We spent one night out of 3 in a tent. (We actually planned to have 2 nights in a tent, but the weather decided for us).  We visited Sugarbush Farm and Billings Farm & Museum, stopped at a store selling sheds and cottages, looked at the cider production process (Woods cider Mill), met with a representative of the company that will drill a well on our site, and asked questions to city officials.  And, of course, we admired the beauty of the season. It’s a pity that we couldn’t stop on the highway for photography.  At this time of the year, tourists travel to Vermont and New Hampshire specifically to admire the foliage. Daniel heard about the town of Woodstock even before the vacation. Therefore, we began to look for sights that can be seen there. As the first attraction, Google gave us The Sugarbush Farm. Google says: “ Rural...

Old New Year

  Do you know what day is today (Jan 13)?  Russians celebrate the Old New Year on the night of January 13-14. How did it happen that Russians celebrate the New Year twice?  Simply by adopting a different calendar. Of course, it was not really simple, but after the October Revolution (1917), the Bolsheviks switched from the Julian calendar to Gregorian one. Because of this, all the dates moved 13 days ahead. The year 1919 began on January 1st but in accordance with the new Gregorian calendar. The Julian calendar was 2 weeks behind the Gregorian one, as a result of which the celebration of the new year was postponed from January 14th to January 1st. The Old New year isn't an official holiday. There are definitely no people who would remember the old calendar. Russians, by definition, like to celebrate holidays. The more reasons to celebrate, the better. The Old New Year is usually less festive. There may be no more gifts under the tree.  Many Russians will wait until t...

From May Snow to Summer Mosquitoes: A Tale of Two Cities

  May 22, and it is snowing in Tomsk. You could say "still" or "again"—both would sound right. And yet, the cool May weather hasn't slowed down the mosquitoes. According to a report by RIA Tomsk, cold weather doesn't kill off the larvae of these blood-sucking insects. The early-spring species have already taken flight "to hunt," and a mass emergence is expected by late May when warmer weather finally arrives. I wish I could say that we don't have mosquito problems here, but we do. I think a lot of it depends on neighbors who keep containers or pools of stagnant water in their backyards, where mosquitoes happily breed and multiply. My husband already got his first bite of the season. Let’s hope for the best this summer. For now, though, Tomichi (Tomsk citizens) aren't too worried about mosquitoes; their real problem, now and always, is ticks. Tomsk had a few warm days earlier this spring, and the ticks became active immediately. Every sprin...